Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Week 15/16/17/18/19/20/21/22 of 2010

Sorry for the silence here but I have been adjusting to single life again and it's been more difficult than anticipated.

Yesterday I finally released Build 014 of OOA Tool. However, I abandoned attempts to finish all of the features that I had started. The main reason for the release was to make available the version of the tool that I am currently using to develop the OOA Tool 2 platform. Now if I have an idea that I want to blog about that uses any of the features that were implemented in that codebase then I can go ahead and blog about it. Knowing that users can replicate any models that I show. One example is reverse parent-child relationships which I blogged about a few days ago. Whether I release any further builds based on this codebase will depend on whether I discover any serious bugs before the new platform is ready. If anyone has a problem loading their existing models using this build then they can email me their ".ooa" file and I will fix any format problems they have.

Last week, I published a new technical note for the first time in ages regarding reverse parent-child relationships. I used this note as a vehicle for testing out some new JavaScript and CSS rules allowing notation to be switched using a control that persists as a cookie across web sessions. Executable UML users can set this once and reduce the amount of Shlaer-Mellor speak they have to wade thru. Shlaer-Mellor users will also be able to avoid the amount of UML stuff they have to ignore. Now it will take time to roll out notation switching across the whole website but that is my ultimate objective. Note that the notation switching JavaScript code only works with the latest browsers, e.g. Firefox 3 or IE 8. I'm not going to bother trying to support old browsers.

No comments: